“We can safeguarding our health by observing, ‘Do Gaj ki Doori, Mask Zaroori’, following social distancing norms and ensuring to wear masks will help us defeat coronavirus. I urge you to follow these guidelines and I pray for your good health. Stay healthy and stay happy,” said the Prime Minister during his monthly ‘Mann ki Baat’ radio programme.
Here are the top developments:
- A common blood-thinning drug — Low Molecular Weight Heparin — has emerged as a potential therapeutic treatment for Covid-19 patients. Doctors said the drug — as a subcutaneous injection — has helped reduce hospitalisation periods, improved recovery rate and has significantly cut the rate of sudden deaths by over 90%. Encouraged by the outcomes, specialists TOI spoke to said doctors nationwide were now using the drug.
- Amid rising number of
Covid-19 cases, the government is now worried about the forthcoming festival season. The issue was discussed in the meeting of the group of ministers on Covid-19 on Saturday and the health ministry is likely to issue separate advisories soon. Health ministry will also develop SOPs for members of Parliament and legislative assembly sessions comprising Covid protocols and preventive measures.
- With a record of more than 10.5 lakh tests conducted in a day for detection of Covid-19, the number of such tests performed in the country has crossed 4.14 crore, the Union health ministry said. The exponential jump in testing capacity and the number of tests has resulted in an upsurge in Tests Per Million to 30,044 as on date, it highlighted.
- The surge in coronavirus infections in India can be attributed to increased testing on one hand and opening of the economy on the other accompanied by complacency among people towards following Covid-appropriate behaviour, experts have said, as the country witnessed over five lakh cases in a week.
- India’s Covid-19 recoveries have sprinted past 27 lakh, taking the recovery rate to 76.61 per cent, while the case fatality rate has further dropped to 1.79 per cent, the health ministry said. It also highlighted that active cases of the infection comprise only 21.60 per cent of the total caseload.
- India added nearly 79,000 fresh cases to its Covid-19 tally on Saturday, the highest single-day surge recorded in any country so far, taking the national caseload past the 3.5 million (35 lakh) mark amid an unprecedented spike in the pandemic numbers over the past seven days. At 78,903 fresh cases, Saturday’s Covid-19 numbers in India went past the previous highest single-day count of 78,427 infections reported in the US on July 25, when that country was witnessing its biggest surge of the virus.
- Maharashtra: Three paediatricians from Akola, Buldhana and Bhusawal, who were treating Covid-19 patients at different places, died of coronavirus infection on Friday. Very rapid deterioration of health was the common factor in all the three deaths. As per central government data, 292 health care workers have died in Maharashtra.
- Jharkhand: In fighting the Covid-19 outbreak in Ranchi district, the administration and the police have an added responsibility of implementing the standard operating procedures as the state government on Friday announced fresh unlock norms allowing hotels, restaurants and intra-state bus transport to operate.
- Tamil Nadu: The Tamil Nadu government, while extending general lockdown till September 30, introduced largescale relaxations for the movement of public, in an attempt to spur economic activity and growth.
- Kerala: Kerala reported 2,154 fresh Covid-19 cases, taking the total number of infections in the state to 73,854. The death toll in the state rose to 287 with seven more deaths being reported.
- Chhattisgarh: Chhattisgarh has witnessed an exponential rise in Covid-19 infection count in August as it has reported over 19,500 cases so far this month with Raipur and four other districts being the worst-affected by the pandemic. The state had recorded 9,192 coronavirus cases till July 31 since the first such case came to light in mid March. However, the case count surged to 28,746 till Saturday.
- Delhi: The Delhi Disaster Management Authority extended the functioning of weekly markets on a trial basis till September 6 in the national capital. Last week, the DDMA had allowed on a trial basis such markets to open, one market per day per municipal zone, in the city for one week from August 24-30.
- Andhra Pradesh: Andhra Pradesh reported over 10,000 cases for the fifth straight day as its tally of 4.24 lakh saw it go past Tamil Nadu to the second spot behind Maharashtra in the overall infection count. Adding 10,603 fresh cases in 24 hours, AP’s Covid-19 tally reached 4,24,767.
- Puducherry: Chief minister V Narayanasamy announced that separate blocks to offer treatment to Covid-19 patients under Siddha and Ayurveda systems will be opened soon at the Mahatma Gandhi Government Dental College.
- Tripura: A BJP MLA in Tripura said he has tested positive for Covid-19, becoming the third legislator of the ruling party in the state to contract the disease. Badrowali MLA Asish Saha said he tested positive for the infection on Saturday and is in home isolation at his Agartala residence.
- Andaman: The Covid-19 tally of Andaman and Nicobar Islands rose to 3,081 as 31 more people tested positive for the infection, while two more fatalities pushed the Union territory’s coronavirus death toll to 44.
- Karnataka: BJP Karnataka state unit President Nalin Kumar Kateel said he has tested positive for Covid-19 but was asyomptomatic. Expressing confidence that with the blessings and good wishes from everyone he will recover and get back soon, the 53-year-old requested all those who had come in contact with him to be cautious.
- UP: Sixty-seven more people died from coronavirus in Uttar Pradesh as 6,233 fresh infections surfaced, pushing the state’s Covid-19 tally 2,25,632. So far, the infection has claimed 3,423 lives in the state with the fatality rate standing at 1.51 per cent.
- Haryana: After the Centre’s Unlock 4 guidelines, the Haryana government withdrew its order to keep markets in urban areas closed on Monday and Tuesday. Sporadic and weekend lockdowns have been implemented by various state governments across the country.
- Rajasthan: Rajasthan recorded seven more fatalities due to the coronavirus, taking the Covid-19 death toll in the state to 1,037. The state also reported 603 fresh coronavirus cases.
- Odisha: The Covid-19 tally in Odisha mounted to 1,00,934 with 3,014 more people testing positive for the disease, while 12 fresh fatalities pushed the state’s death toll to 482.
- Ladakh: Ladakh has reported four more coronavirus-related deaths, taking the total number of fatalities due to the disease to 32 in the Union territory. The death toll comprises 20 fatalities in Kargil and 12 in Leh.
- Gujarat: Gujarat reported 1,272 new Covid-19 cases, taking the total count of infections to 95,155. Death toll crossed the 3,000-mark and rose to 3,008 with 17 patients succumbing to the infection.
- HP: Himachal Pradesh recorded 109 fresh Covid-19 cases, taking the infection tally to 5,891, while the death toll reached 34 with one more fatality, an official said. The number of active cases in the state now stands at 1,517.
- Global coronavirus infections soared past 25 million on Sunday, as countries around the world further tightened restrictions to try to stop the rampaging pandemic. More than 843,000 people have died of Covid-19 globally. A million additional cases have been detected globally roughly every four days since mid-July, according to an AFP tally.
- The United States is the worst-hit country with 182,785 deaths from 5,961,884 cases. At least 2,140,614 people have been declared recovered.
- China has registered nine new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, and all of them have been imported, while another 27 Covid-19 patients have recovered over that period, the country’s national health commission said. China’s total number of confirmed coronavirus cases now stands at 85,031.
- Nepal reported its highest single-day increase in the coronavirus cases with 1,221 new infections, taking the country’s total count to 38,561. The country’s death toll jumped to 221 after 14 more people died due to Covid-19.
- Singapore will offer free coronavirus tests to community groups such as taxi drivers, food delivery workers and hawkers as part of efforts to expand the Covid-19 testing regime, the ministry of health said. The health ministry on Sunday reported 54 new Covid-19 cases.
- Pakistan reported 264 new coronavirus cases, taking the national tally to 2,95,636, the health ministry said. The number of fatalities in the country reached 6,288 after four patients died in the last 24 hours. A total of 280,547 people have recovered across the country, while 601 are in critical condition.
- Russia recorded 4,980 Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours, taking the nationwide tally to 990,326, Sputnik reported citing the country’s coronavirus response center. 68 deaths were recorded, down from 111 the day before, bringing the total to 17,093.